VA Eastern Kansas Health Care System
Leavenworth Patient Education Center
Our Patient Education Center is for veterans and their family members.Â The center contains pamphlets to assist you in learning more about your health and improving your well-being. There are pamphlets on many medical and psychiatric illnesses. Topics include diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, bipolar disease, depression, schizophrenia, post traumatic stress disorder, etc. Videos are available for viewing in the Center. In addition there are reference books on medications, etc. There is a computer you can use to access reliable health information. The following website can also provide you with reliable health information.
- MedLine PlusÂ - Trusted Health Information for You
The Topeka VA Patient Health Education Center is located in the Medical Library, room C116, in Building 1.
This website provides veterans with reliable patient education information as well as the latest VA News. Information about veterans' benefits and services is also available.
Computers are available in the following locations to access the MyHealtheVet:
- Patient Health Education Center , C116, in Building 1
- Mental Health Clinic, Waiting Room A105, Building 2
Upon registering withÂ My HealtheVet, you will be able to:
- refill prescriptions online
- monitor your personal health data, such as blood pressure and pain levels
- maintain your own self-entered personal health record
Veterans can obtain health information with the touch of the screen. The kiosks are easy to use. Printouts can be taken home. A kiosk is located in the Building 2 Lobby, Topeka VA Medical Center.
Outpatient Health Education and Educational Support Groups
Clinical staff provides health education during regularly scheduled outpatient clinic visits. Classes and educational support groups are available at both the Leavenworth and Topeka VA Medical Centers for:
- Tobacco Cessation
- Weight management (MOVE program)
- Anger Management
- Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Combat Trauma
- Cognitive Mood Therapy
- Healing Addiction and Mental Illness
- Women's Trauma Group
- Traumatic Response
- Diabetes Basics
- Nutrition Class For Heart Health and Weight Reduction
Talk with your VA doctor if you are interested in these classes or groups
Inpatient Health Education
Clinical staff begins the patient education process at the time of admission. Patient education continues during your hospital stay and at discharge. Our goal is to provide a hospital environment where patients â€”
- continually receive updated health information
- are able to ask questions about their health
- can enjoy as comfortably as possible their stay in our facility